Understanding one of the key players in the Landsraad
Having spoken to publisher Funcom about the upcoming Early Access launch of Dune: Spice Wars, the anticipation for the 4X/real-time strategy hybrid game has never been higher.
If you want to try your hand at dominating the future, knowing the factions at play will be vital. So, there’s probably no better time than now to introduce players to House Atreides in Dune: Spice Wars.
Who Are House Atreides?
As one of the most powerful Houses in the known universe, the Atreides faction is honorable, efficient, and highly respected from all corners, save for their eternal rivals over at House Harkonnen.
Being one of the Great Houses of the Imperium and an important member of Landsraad, the parliament that brings together the major and minor houses of the Imperium, House Atreides has ruled the lush, oceanic planet called Caladan for generations, and lead their fiefdom with both justice and honor.
Duke Leto Atreides
At the head of the faction is distinguished aristocrat Leto Atreides. The Duke is an excellent commander who always puts the well-being of his people first, even at the cost of valuable resources. He may appear harsh, inflexible, proud, and authoritarian at times, but he is widely considered to be a fair and loyal leader who commands the love and respect of his people.
Atreides Councillors in Dune: Spice Wars
Within each House are trusted Councillors who manage the estate and achieve goals. For House Atreides, players can count on Warmaster Gurney Halleck for military strategy, Lady Jessica for political influence, Mentat and spymaster Thufir Hawat for economics and spying and the legendary swordmaster Duncan Idaho for expansion and combat proficiency.
Atreides General Gameplay
One of the key strengths of the faction is its unparalleled political power. Its negotiating skills and reputation for honor and loyalty mean Atreides has the confidence of many houses, giving Atreides more power and allowing the house to benefit from many legal advantages and build up its political might further.
On Arrakis, Atreides can also rely on skills and reputation to easily negotiate with the Fremen, which means valuable advantages over other factions in the race to conquer the dangerous planet.
Atreides Unique Units in Dune: Spice Wars
The Atreides are renowned for an exceptionally well-trained and doggedly loyal army, with troops that are expensive but tough. These units are designed, created and trained to last, with a variety of functions to cater to any situation.
These unique units include:
- Troopers: Armored swordsmen, exceptionally skilled in close combat and who work perfectly in tandem with their fellow troops.
- Rangers: Equipped with long-range rifles, they are some of the best scouts and support units.
- Heavy Weapon Squad: Equipped with the best heavy weapons of the House, they are incredibly effective in breaching enemy defenses, and being one of the best anti-vehicle and anti-armor infantry on Arrakis.
- Wardens: The Wardens are the elite troops of the Atreides armies and the pride of the Duke. Adorning heavy armor and near-impenetrable shields, they have garnered a reputation as near immortal fighters.
- Support Drone: Heavy mechanical units equipped with powerful ranged weapons, they are the flagship of the Atreides industry, developed specifically to aid allies engaged in hostile environments with supplies and aid.
Dune: Spice Wars is set to launch later in 2022 on Steam Early Access.